Sunday, October 4, 2009

Total Downer!

Welp, it seems as though I won't be able to blog about this topic as I wanted. On Friday, the activities director told me her superior shot down the blog. She said it had something to do with publicity issues, which is ironic because this is a class project; it's not like I was aspiring to be the next Julie Powell. But alas.

It came as a surprise to me because, as I mentioned before, I've blogged about far more sensitive matters while volunteering at a psychiatric hospital, writing about murders, accusations of sexual abuse and the like. There the administrators read my blog religiously, albeit tentatively, and I still never got a complaint so long as I protected the identities of those involved.

At the hospital, I'd interview people in-depth about their personal history. At the nursing home, I'd just play Bingo and make light chat with residents. But apparently that was too much to talk about.

I have two hypotheses as to the "real" reason why they rejected my request. First, that this is a small town, and so word gets around fast (also, little things tend to get blown out of proportion, as nobody has much to talk about). Second, that they were afraid I might mention a mistake one of the staff made. I admit, I came into this expecting some degree of inadequate oversight, but after just two days volunteering, I truly believe that this was no matter. The care there is excellent.

The fact that they shot down my blog shows some degree of insecurity in the administrators. And, partly, I don't blame them; they must take a lot of flack for stupid stuff. On an ending note, though, I pose to them this question: what do you have to hide?

No comments:

Post a Comment